Thursday, August 26, 2010

Old Friends - New Stories

Turn back the hands of time to 1991. That was the year that I discovered a book titled The Sheepfarmer's Daughter. It was not at all what I had expected it to be. I found myself enthralled, no only with the characters but also the world that had been created by the author, Elizabeth Moon.

I wound up searching a number of second-hand bookshops to find Divided Allegiance and finally Oath of Gold, the second and third books about the life and deeds of Paksenarrion Dorthansdottor.

In 2005, during a visit to a bookshop in Florida, I found… wrapped in plastic and misfiled, a brand new copy of the Omnibus Edition of The Deed of Paksenarrion. I sat down and re-read the stories, and fell in love again.

Now, twelve years after the publication of Sheepfarmer's Daughter comes the Oath of Fealty, a return to that world. I found myself once again ensorcelled by the stories of the lives of so many of who I have come to think of as familiar old friends.

I was entranced and delighted, and I hope you will be as well.




The stories continue in March of 2011, with Kings Of The North, from Del Ray Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment